Friday, 17 July 2009

July 15th., A Day To Remember

BNP Regional Press Officer, Cllr. John Ryde, writes:

"July 15th was a day that will go down in history.

"This was the day that our party Chairman Nick Griffin MEP made his maiden speech in the European Parliament.

"For many it was the culmination of a 40 year battle to have our voice heard, a day to remember.
It was a day filled with nostalgia too, because later in the afternoon came the unmistakable and evocative sound of a Merlin engine.

"As I dashed out into the garden, right over head flew the Carolyn Grace Spitfire, decked out in her D-Day insignia. This is the second time in a week that she has overflown my village, this time quite low. This is the same aircraft that overflew last years Red, White and Blue Festival and did four circuits.


"Readers of this blog will recall that I also reported a couple of weeks ago on the Battle of Britain Lancaster that was also seen locally.

"So it was with a light heart that I went to celebrate a day to remember with a pint of Britain’s finest bitter. On arriving at my local I was pleasantly surprised to find The Leicester Morrismen were about to dance. They performed their sets with enthusiasm to the delight of the gathered crowds aided and fuelled by pints of the finest Pedigree bitter.


"But there was more. For us old codgers who love a Britain as it was in our youth there was the delight of a fully restored Austin Ruby in all her concours glory brought by one of the Morrismen.


"Well, I have to say that I did toast our heritage, history and those who still love it with an extra pint (or two)

"A nostalgic day that gave me personally a lot of pleasure and a reminder what it is that we are fighting for.."

3 comments:

Keats said...

That's uncanny -and quite brilliant!
I'll join you in that toast, John.

Anonymous said...

I understand the nostalgia, but I'm not sure that it helps us relate to the youth of today.

Anonymous said...

Then it must follow that the education of our children into the heritage and history of our nation is sadly lacking.

Was it not Winston Churchill who said;"a nation without history has no future" ?

John